Our Client is a world leading organization with more than 150,000 professionals in 70 countries and draws together the worlds of food, agriculture, and nutrition and risk management. Their annual sales and revenue exceed US$ 130 billion. They are widely diversified and their major market segments include agriculture and food and energy and natural resources. Some of their major businesses include the trading and distribution of agricultural commodities, manufacturing and sale of livestock and feed, trading in energy, steel and transport, and the production of food ingredients. They also provide risk management and financial solutions to both their customers and their own businesses. They currently undertaking a regional EHS Transformation and accordingly seek a Health & Safety Director that will achieve their goal of zero fatalities and serious injuries across APAC where they have significant mixed-asset investments.
This position is global in scope and crosses all enterprises and will have the opportunity to positively impact the safety of more than 55,000 employees and more than 15,000 contractor employees.
HEALTH & SAFETY DIRECTOR APAC
Our Client is committed to deploying a Health & Safety strategy that will achieve their goal of zero fatalities and serious injuries. Establishing strong global Health & Safety polices and standards is critical to achieve that goal. The position will provide Health & Safety technical thought leadership and lead the development and deployment of Global Health & Safety policies, technical procedures, training and job aids and deployment at the regional level.
The APAC Regional Health & Safety Director applies mastery knowledge of Health & Safety to define, develop and deploy corporate standards. This position will be a member of the corporate Health & Safety leadership team providing leadership in the development of the strategies for the deployment, implementation and sustainment of the Corporate Health & Safety standards to ensure a consistent and effective operation within the APAC region.
This position will also serve as the Global Program Manager and Subject Matter Expert for assigned technical Health & Safety areas. Examples include industrial hygiene, energy isolations, electrical work practices, elevated work, hot work, bulk material handling, mobile equipment, rail safety, confined space entry, hazardous materials handling, machine safety standards etc. establishing technical safety standards aligned with industry leading practices for management of the associated safety risks. This position will be responsible to lead the APAC Health & Safety leadership Team to ensure consistent implementation of Health & Safety standards across APAC region.
CORE FUNCTIONS OF THE ROLE:
60% - APAC Health & Safety leadership. Define and Develop Health & Safety Policy and Procedures
· Lead a regional Health & Safety team to develop strategies for regional deployment of Health & Safety standards and the development of Health & Safety expertise and capability. Develop strategy to deploy Health & Safety policies, requirements, job aids and training materials. Lead development of necessary change management and communication strategy and planning.
· Lead development of necessary tools, support materials, and training to facilitate deployment within Region. Develop systems and metrics to affectively track, monitor and report progress to stakeholders and leadership team members.
· Lead Company Health & Safety best practice policy and procedure development to effectively mitigate serious injury and fatality (SIF) risks within Company operations and supports Company Zero Harm commitment.
· Define and Identify best practices within Company’s existing operations and through benchmarking external organizations. In collaboration with enterprise and group EHS leaders, plant operations, manufacturing excellence and other key functions, develops and implements Health & Safety policies, procedures, engineering standards and necessary job aids that ensures all work at Company is performed safely and efficiently
· Build Health & Safety capability within the APAC region.
· Provide technical, regulatory and strategic consultation, support, and training on the Corporate Health & Safety Risk Management requirements and tools to support local sites as they integrate Process Health & Safety Risk Management within their operations and build a strong Health & Safety Risk Management culture
· Develop and execute ongoing stakeholder and change management processes, communication, and education activities within the region
· Partnership with Regional EHS Leader and educate Business Leaders of their accountabilities and how their actions/resource decisions impact the operational culture and impact operation risks
· Partner with Manufacturing technology leaders to integrate Health & Safety requirements into manufacturing technology and engingeering standards
· Managing deployment of Health & Safety portfolio or projects in region
25% - Global Program Manager and Subject Matter Expert for assigned technical Health & Safety areas. Examples include industrial hygiene, energy isolations, electrical work practices, elevated work, hot work, bulk material handling, mobile equipment, rail safety, confined space entry, hazardous materials handling, machine safety standards etc. Continuous Improvements of Health & Safety Standards
· Organize and participate in work stream subgroups in the development of the corporate safety standards for Health & Safety expertise process area
· Apply mastery knowledge of Health & Safety risks and provides technical, regulatory and strategic consultation to EHS and operations leadership.
· Using expert knowledge, design and deliver guidance and training solutions related to Health & Safety technical area to enable organizational compliance to the internal and external standards
· Establish key leading metrics to evaluate the risk management of Health & Safety processes
· Create a compliance audit/assessment standard to monitor the execution and operational discipline with regard to implementation of Health & Safety technical area standards.
· Participate in external organizations to engage in thought leadership in the development of leading practices for the management of Health & Safety processes.
· Apply mastery knowledge of Health & Safety technical area to lead continuous improvement of the corporate process safety standards
15% - Continuous Improvement of Health & Safety standards and performance
· Monitor and analyze leading and lagging Health & Safety metrics for their region to identify areas of recognition and improvement
· Actively participate as a member of the global Health & Safety leadership team evaluating and assessing the performance of the corporate Health & Safety standards
· Frequently benchmark internally and externally to identify and adopt leading practices that provide an opportunity to improve the strategic direction for Health & Safety.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS (REQUIRED)
Minimum Required Qualifications
· Bachelor’s Degree in Science (Health & Safety, Engineering or related field).
· Minimum of 15 years’ experience in operations, safety and engineering with 10 years’ experience developing and implementing Health & Safety policies and standards.
· Demonstrated understanding of industry best practice in Health & Safety standards
· Demonstrated ability to influence, lead and direct people/projects in cross-background teams
· Demonstrated to be collaborative, organized and detail orientated.
· Fluent in English
· Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft office applications
· Motivations and ability to execute projects/tasks in a timely manner, strong prioritization and time management skills
· High self-initiative, setting own goals and execution.
· Ability to travel up to 35% of the time including internationally
· Ability to understand and navigate effectively through networks and across organizational boundaries to gain support
· Use knowledge to advance science or technical knowledge to influence regulations or recognized leading practices
· Ability to communicate and influence senior leadership to front line management
· Demonstrated excellent verbal, written communication and presentation skills
· Fluent in Bahasa or Mandarin
· Participate and pursue leadership roles in external organization to bring “outside in” perspective and exposure to leading practices
· Master’s degree or degree in Health & Safety, or related technical field
· Certified Safety Professional/Certified Industrial Hygienist.
· EHS management system deployment experience.
· Demonstrated skills at managing and leading complex and ambiguous situations
· Strong change management skills and demonstrated experience implementing change on a large scale
· Experience working in a global / multi-geography environment and an understanding of the complexities it presents
· Experience in driving or participating in organizational culture change/shift.