Our Client is a leading global provider of door-to-door transportation services for bulk-liquid chemicals and food-grade products. With a fleet of more than 35,000 tank containers, our client is the only operator with its own worldwide network of twenty owned and joint-venture depots. This specialized network gives our client direct control over the handling, cleaning and maintenance of its fleet, ensuring unrivaled quality, reliability and safety performance. They have an established presence in China with both a strong service offering domestically and internationally. With an established client base they are already a dominant player in the Chinese marketplace. They currently seek a General Manager to lead their China operations. This is a P+L ownership role and requires an experienced individual who is highly motivated to grow an already successful business within the chemical logistics sector.
GENERAL MANAGER, CHINA (TANK CONTAINERS)
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Main Functions & Responsibilities
· Continuously improve the Profit & Loss results of the company in China, balancing the company’s global and regional goals as well as strategic goals and expected behaviors. Ensure that the requirements of ISO 9001, Antitrust polices and codes of ethical conduct are fully met.
· Establish, develop, continuously monitor and adapt China personnel roles, duties and reporting structure to generate continuous performance improvement, stable work environment and culture of success, excellence and progressive improvement in all areas of your control.
· Target and develop key personnel for systematic development and growth in the global business structure of the company. Nurture the development of all reporting staff in a positive manner at all times and in support of the company’s behaviors.
· Establish, develop and adapt the commercial strategy cooperatively with the Regional Director, and Commercial Team to cater to global, regional and local opportunities, challenges, strengths and weaknesses, in line with Asian and Global strategies.
· Assist the Regional Director in the development of Health, Safety, and Environment & Quality program in partnership with global staff in line with company and division goals.
· Continuously identify and reduce risk profile for the company in the area of your control.
· Drive the Performance Managed Partnership process in the area of your responsibility, mentoring direct and indirect reporting staff, encouraging the development of strong goals, mentoring the mid-year process and the end of year review, results and rewards process.
· Ensure that daily operations and commercial interaction are executed within the guidelines of the company’s Anti-Trust and Quality Excellence policies.
· Communicate, guide and enhance performance through implementation of Strategic Plans and Initiatives through your direct and downstream staff.
· Review customer and supplier contracts prior to submission to Regional Director for accuracy, effectiveness and risk reduction.
· To actively participate in management functions supporting the objectives of the company.
· Direct and oversee the purchasing of ocean freight and trucking services in your area of responsibility.
· Continually review, evaluate, expand, intervene in, or change supplier relationships when necessary to ensure high quality customer service for external and internal customers, at a competitive cost.
Personnel and Administration
· Ensure personnel policy and procedures are followed within the country. Ensure that the company is properly staffed and trained to reflect a professional image. Promote a culture of continuous improvement and innovation and ensure compliance with company processes and procedures in personnel administration
Sales and Marketing
· Ensure Commercial, Operational & Support staffing is adequate to meet current business needs. Ensure that potential expansion of the business is supported by employee development, training and succession planning in conjunction with Regional Director, China.
· Lead key customer and supplier relationships through regular interface and nurturing with key personnel in the area of your responsibility.
Accounting and Finance
Oversee accounting A/R and A/P, claim resolution and problematic issues requiring commercial/management resolution.
· Oversee all operational activity in the region and to positively participate in the fleet balancing program.
· To assist in M & R and Insurance activity as required.
· To ensure all operations groups are properly staffed and trained to meet requirements.
- College or university degree preferred
· Minimum 10 years logistics or industry experience with proven track record of successes. Strong international business experience and awareness of cultures
· Strong leadership, problem solving and motivational ability.
· Must be ethical, organized, goal oriented and able to prioritize
· Strong business and personnel management skills. Effective communicator both in written and spoken word.
· Able to travel and willing to relocate if needed and agreed.
· Strong understanding of profit and loss statements and basic accounting principles.
· Business fluency in English & Mandarin.
· Shanghai, China