Our Client is a world leading agricultural commodities producer, processor and trading house. They are one of the major players in the trading world. They provide innovative solutions to customers across major market segments; including agriculture and food and energy and natural resources. Some of their major businesses include the trading and distribution of agricultural commodities, manufacturing and sale of livestock and feed, trading in energy, steel and transport, and the production of food ingredients. They also provide risk management and financial solutions to both their customers and their own businesses. In addition they own and operate significant supply chain and logistics infrastructure worldwide, including a Port & Terminal facility in Karachi Pakistan.
CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER (PORT & TERMINAL) – KARACHI, PAKISTAN
The Chief Operating Officer is responsible for managing and operating the client’s Port and Terminal in Karachi, Pakistan, in a manner that achieves levels of safety and productivity comparable with international operating standards within all applicable laws and procedures. COO will provide leadership and direction towards achieving excellence in Environment, Health and Food safety performance, cost efficient operations, high reliability of the equipment and highly engaged employees.
The COO will handle all local operational, maintenance, engineering and administration aspects of the Terminal. He/She will be accountable for meeting forecasted safety, production, efficiency, cost targets and maintenance / capital expenditure plans in accordance with all applicable rules & regulations. Other responsibilities include ensuring alignment within the team’s structure & performance, staff recruitment & development, execution of location’s engagement action plans and clear communications between the entire staff.
30% Risk Management (Environment Health & Safety and Food Safety Quality & Regulatory)
The Environment, Health & Safety and Food/Feed safety of the Terminal, associated processes and people is one of the key accountabilities for the COO. He/She will work with the Terminal management team to ensure that all policies, procedures, preventative programs, training and systems are thoroughly implemented to ensure that facility has a ZERO harm culture for Environment, Safety and Food Safety.The COO will be across all relevant laws / regulations / legislation and will have in place programs to ensure the terminal remains compliant and will maintain a healthy working relationship with local authorities
30% Production Excellence
The COO will be accountable for the creation, execution and control of annual terminal operating budgets.
The COO will drive the continuous improvement culture throughout the facility. He/She will ensure that the team has appropriate training and direction in key Lean manufacturing tools (Stable Ops, six sigma, 5 why, kaizen etc.).Drive a healthy approach to annual efficiency goals and targets.
The COO will stay abreast and implement key technological developments, systems and processes pertaining to bulk cargo terminal operations and grain handling processes to achieve productivity and safety of the terminal.
15% Reliability Excellence
The COO will have full control and oversight of the maintenance budget, programs, planning and execution to ensure that facility is maintained in safe and efficient manner meeting all Emergency downtime, Schedule downtime targets and customer demands.
The COO will be responsible for the right sourcing of materials and services. He will ensure that port operation processes are in place, critical equipment parts are identified and critical spares are in place and available all the time as well as all the other operational resources (materials and services) are purchased in time at the best cost of ownership. The COO will directly manage the procurement team of the Terminal.
15% Capital Management
The COO will be responsible for building the Terminal capital plans and ensure it is aligned both short and long-term strategies of the business. At time, He/She will be accountable for all capital expenditures at the site (e.g. in case of further expansion projects).
· Assist in Feasibility study and Financial Analysis of Build Projects.
· High Focus on Front End Loading & Resource Planning
· Build, Operate and Maintain the projects as per Company standards and guidelines.
10% Talent Management
· The COO will be responsible to build a high performing, competent and engaged team working towards a common vision. This requires successful recruitment and selection of employees, and effective use of compensation, development and appropriate performance management tools.
· The COO will be responsible for manpower planning for Operation, Maintenance and FSQR departments as well as for the other functions directly reporting to the COO (procurement, engineering, EHS)
· The COO will be responsible for effective deployment of Performance Management System including defining the KRA’s, development goals and regular discussions with team.
· The COO can also be actively involved where needed in the community and industry committees to ensure Terminal interests are addressed.
· Minimum University degree in Maritime and Port or Process technology, Mechanical Engineering.
· Min 10+ years of experience in bulk grain handling including vessel unloading, conveyor, silos and bagging.
· Minimum 10 years’ experience in operations management roles in terminals.
· Deep and practical business acumen, along with a working knowledge of general business functions including Production, Safety, Maintenance, IT, Supply Chain, Accounting, Quality Assurance and Human Resources.
· Strong understanding of national and regional regulations governing the facility operations. This includes areas such as labor laws, EHS and employee and Food Safety.
· Computer Technology, Microsoft office, plant software (manufacturing IT systems e.g. 1C, PLC configurations, Maximo etc.), AutoCad.
· Experience in cost and productivity optimization through process optimization, as well as design and implementation of new operation procedures.
· Experience in finance related matters, setting budgets and reporting against financial objectives.
· Health and Safety Certifications
· Capital Project Experience
· Strong M&R understanding
· Training / certification in Continuous Improvement methodologies is a significant advantage.
· Completed post-graduate studies in Port and/or Terminal Management, or related business studies are desirable.
· Driving license
· Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate across the organization.
· Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
· Ability to provide leadership, obtain cooperation and assistance to meet objectives while promoting a team environment.
· Fluency in English both spoken and written
· Karachi, Pakistan