Our client is a multinational manufacturing company headquartered in Europe that specializes in hot rolled seamless steel tubes, expandable tubular technology, automotive parts, and stainless steel, which it provides to energy, construction, automotive, and mechanical industries. They are listed on NYSE Euronext. They are heavily invested in Asia where they have more than 2000 employees and a seamless pipes heat treatment plant which has an annual production capacity of 120,000 metric tons and can produce various pipe sizes in standard API, Premium and proprietary grades.
Additive Manufacturing (“AM”) is thought today as one of the most disruptive force within the manufacturing industry. This technology is moving from rapid prototyping and niche market to safe, reliable products for a growing number of industries (Aerospace, Automotive, Marine industries). Even though today the technology still requires a number of post processing steps, experts are predicting that additive manufacturing will enable companies to produce finished products on a large scale before the first half of the century. The traditional operations strategy of how companies develop, purchase or sell goods will be very different with additive manufacturing.
As a result, our Client has decided to embark into the journey of developing opportunities to modify, enhance products and supply chain toward the offer of new innovative solutions both of its customers and to improve its operational efficiency. After some first R&D work in Europe, they will be introducing a pioneer Weld Arc Additive Manufacturing (“WAAM”) pre-industrialization line in Singapore.
To lead a successful deployment of this first investment and also support their AM growth and regional relationship with the ecosystem, they current seek an expert/method engineer to join their Singaporean team as an Additive Manufacturing Regional Engineer.
The Main Missions and Objectives of the role:
The main missions and objectives of the AM Regional Engineer are as follows;
- Achieve a successful ramp-up of the WAAM line (Pioneer equipment) and the manufacturing of the first AM components for the group.
- Be the focal point for regional initiatives (mill savings)
- WAAM ramp-up:
- Ensure WAAM line ramp-up (after installation)
- Ensure project KPI are reached as per plan
- Coordinate with the local team the installation program Phase 2
- Report on main events weekly and once a month to steering committee
- Deployment of WAAM:
- Develop knowledge and local skills (competency tests and training packages)
- Develop and maintain standards (safety, quality, lean, process), work routines, etc.
- Supervise technically the AM production team – 4 operators
- Use/develop programs for the robot to manufacture parts “in quality”
- Sub-contract as needed operations (machining, heat treatment, testing, etc.)
- With the support of AM expert, develop process capability, process control, parameters and trajectories
- Coordinate regularly with the AM Business Dev (Bertrand Maillon) and VRCF (AM process expert (Xavier Gostiaux) and NDT (Alexandre Noel))
- Coordinate with Eco System:
- Be the company’s technical point of contact for Singapore
- Perform regular competition surveys and identify new opportunities that may arise in the local area and Asia and Middle East region
- Internal Savings:
- Support the regional mills, Asian and ME plants for potential savings opportunities
- Conduct workshops to identify new opportunities and evangelize AM
- Out of the box activity:
- Creative and innovate to develop new opportunities that can be out of the box
Required profile, skills & competencies:
- Master degree in Engineering (mechanical, material science or welding)
- Experience using design software (such as Solidworks) and manufacturing software (such as Powermill)
- Knowledge of Additive Manufacturing processes and particularly WAAM.
- Knowledge in metallurgy and NDT (familiar with Additive Manufacturing norms is a plus)
- Must be customer oriented
- Knowledge of R&D processes such as NDT, AM, Simulation, etc.
- Some international business travel will be required in the delivery of this role.